A great cocktail can be made with just a few ingredients. If you’re new to making cocktails at home, this is the perfect drink for you! It’s easy to make and features gin as the main ingredient. Gin is one of the most famous liquors in the world.
Making gin at home has become popular and easier than ever with the invention of the air still. With just a few basic ingredients, you can create your gin in just a day or two. Here, we’ll show you how to make your gin with air still.
What is an Air Still?
The air still is a device that allows you to produce alcoholic beverages without the use of heat. It’s a relatively new invention, but it’s been around long enough to be perfected. You can make your gin, whiskey, brandy, and rum from scratch with air still.
The air still works by separating water from alcohol for a purer taste. The process also removes the need for harsh chemicals to be added to the mixture. The quality of the water and alcohol will determine the quality of your drink.
The first step to making your gin is deciding on what ingredients you want to use. You can use just about any ingredients, but traditionally gin is made with juniper berries. Juniper berries are the main ingredient in gin and give it its characteristic flavor.
Gin is also traditionally made with other spices, like coriander seeds and angelica root. You can also add things like orange peel or lemon peel if you want to add different flavors.
To measure the amount of each of the ingredients, you’ll use a “pinch” of each. A “pinch” of each ingredient is typically about one teaspoon. If you’re making your gin at home, you’ll need water, and the air still, juniper berries, coriander seeds, angelica root, orange peel, and lemon peel.
A traditional gin recipe also uses some sugar, but this is optional. If you decide to use sugar, it’s recommended to use 1/4 cup of sugar for every 2 cups of water. The last thing you’ll need for your homemade gin is a container or jar with a tight-fitting lid. You can use any jar or container that will hold 6 cups of
To make gin at home with an air still, you’ll need the following equipment:
- Air still
- Fermentation bucket
- Fine mesh strainer
Steps to Make Gin
Making gin with air still is a great way to get the experience of making your liquor. After you’ve distilled your spirit, you can add your flavors and bottle it, or use it in your favorite cocktails!
- First, put your air still together. You’ll need a large pot or bucket to boil the liquid and the air still. If you’re boiling the liquid, make sure it’s at least three gallons. If you’re using a water bath to cool the vapor, you’ll need a two-gallon container.
- After that, add your botanicals into the pot or bucket. You’ll want to add juniper berries, coriander seeds, angelica root, lavender flowers, and cardamom pods.
- You’ll then need to add your alcohol to the botanicals. Use high-proof alcohol like Everclear or vodka. Add a quarter cup for a three-gallon batch or a cup for a two-gallon batch.
- You’ll then fill the rest of the pot with water and boil for about twenty minutes while stirring occasionally. This will create a botanical tea that you’ll then filter into your air still.
- Once the liquid reaches 57 degrees Celsius, it’s ready to distill. Place the jar on the air still, cover it with the lid, and start the pump. The liquid will be distilled in about 2-3 hours. Repeat this process for about three more days.
Then, viola, you have the homemade gin that you can enjoy!
If you’re looking for a new hobby or something fun to do with your friends, making your liquor at home is a great idea. Producing your own liquor can be both fun and rewarding. With an air still, the process is easy, and the end result is delicious.
To make your gin, you’ll need some basic ingredients like juniper berries, yeast, water, and demineralized water. You’ll also need a jar, air still, and thermometer. After that, you can now enjoy and have a drink whenever you want!