Pineapple moonshine is a vibrant tropical drink that packs a punch. There are two techniques to create this tasty drink: Via infusion or distillation. In this blog, I’ll share both methods so you can always have fun and versatile ways to spruce up your boozy endeavors.
Table of Contents
What Is Pineapple Moonshine?
Pineapple moonshine is a refreshing spirit made by distilling fermented pineapples. It’s flavorful and aromatic and captures the tropical essence of pineapples.
What Does Pineapple Moonshine Taste Like?
The spirit has a distinct and vibrant pineapple flavor. It’s sweet and tangy, reminiscent of fresh pineapples. Infused moonshine tends to have a smoother and milder pineapple taste compared to its potent distilled counterpart.
What Type Of Pineapple Works Best?
Ripe, fresh pineapples work best; they provide a more authentic, robust, and fragrant beverage.
Pineapple Moonshine Recipe Variations
Infused pineapple moonshine
Infusions are by far the simplest way to have a bottle of pineapple goodness ready within a week. You infuse pineapple chunks directly into a neutral spirit or vodka and let the concoction marry for a week or two (or even longer for a more flavorful experience!).
Distilled pineapple moonshine (a.k.a pineapple brandy)
The distilled version involves fermenting the pineapples to create a pineapple wash and then distilling it to obtain a higher alcohol content. The result is potent and more refined.
Infused Vs. Distilled-Which Is Best?
Distilled moonshine is our favorite version! If you’re looking for a smoother moonshine with a beautiful interplay of pineapples, we highly recommend you distill your wash.
How To Make Easy Pineapple Moonshine (No Distillation)
- 1 ripe pineapple, cut into small squares
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 750ml/24.5 oz Everclear
- 1 small lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 glass jars
- Cheesecloth or fine sieve
It’ll take about 20-30 minutes to cut the pineapple and lemons, and a week or two for the spirit to infuse with the fruit.
- Evenly put the pineapple, lemon, and sugar into the glass jars.
- Top off each glass with alcohol, up to the brim.
- Seal and shake well.
- Place the jars in a cool, dark place for 1-2 weeks. Shake the jars daily.
- Strain into clean glass jars. Enjoy!
How To Make Authentic Distilled Pineapple Moonshine
What defines brandy/schnapps
Both brandy and schnapps are similar in that they’re produced by distilling a fermented fruit wash, but there are some nuances to these spirits. Brandy is diluted to 35-60% ABV/70-120 proof, and aged in oak barrels.
Schnapps is generally unaged, sweetened, and flavored with peppermint, peach, or any flavor of your choice. It has a relatively lower alcohol content–15-25% ABV/30-50 proof, and because of its sweet nature, it’s often used for cocktails.
- 10 kg/22 Ibs ripe pineapples
- Yeast (preferably wine yeast)
- 5 grams of yeast nutrients
- 2 kg/4 Lbs white sugar
- 10L/3.6 gallons Water
- 20g French oak chips (optional)
- Strainer, siphoning tube, or cheesecloth
- Oak chips (optional)
- Food processor stick or paint mixer
- Glass jars
- Clean bucket
- Chopping board
It will take 1-2 hours to mince the pineapples and another 30 minutes to prepare the entire wash.
- Peel and mince the pineapples, removing any spoilt parts.
- Put the pineapples into a fermenter.
- Add water and stir well.
- Take a gravity reading, it should read 1.065. If not, stir in the sugar to bring it up to the required reading.
- Pitch your yeast and add yeast nutrients. Stir well.
- Cover the fermenter with a lid and attach the airlock.
- Let it ferment at 70°F (21°C) for 7-17 days.
- Siphon or strain into a clean bucket.
- Run your still. First, perform a stripping run.
- Perform a spirit run and make cuts.
- If aging, distribute the spirit equally into glass jars and place oak chips into each jar.
How Long Does Pineapple Moonshine Last?
Pineapple moonshine, when stored properly–in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight, can last indefinitely.
Tips And Tricks
- Use fresh pineapples
- Use good-quality yeast
- Clarify your wash before distilling
- Always perform a stripping run!
Use fresh pineapples
Always use fresh, ripe pineapples for the best flavor. They’re bursting with flavor and laden with natural sugars, which not only creates a pronounced spirit but reduces the amount of sugar you add when preparing the wash.
Use a good quality yeast
A good quality yeast will help you achieve a higher alcohol yield and produce a smoother-tasting spirit. Select one that’ll complement the flavors you’re looking to achieve.
Clarify your wash before distilling
Clarifying reduces the potential of any scorched substances during distillation.
Always perform a stripping run
Stripping runs help remove unwanted compounds from your products. Another reason we recommend you perform a stripping run is to:
- Produce a flavorful, smooth alcohol.
- Reduce the distillation time when you do a stripping run.
Crafting your own pineapple moonshine is a labor of love that rewards you with a truly unique and delicious spirit. Whether you prefer the fruity goodness of infused pineapple moonshine or the refined elegance of distilled pineapple brandy, the possibilities are endless.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do you ferment pineapple for moonshine?
Here’s a simple way to ferment pineapples for moonshine.
1. Peel and mince the pineapples, removing any spoilt parts.
2. Put minced pineapples into a fermentation container.
3. Add water and stir well.
4. Take a gravity reading, it should read 1.065. If not, stir in the sugar to bring it up to the required reading.
5. Pitch your yeast and add yeast nutrients. Stir well.
6. Cover the fermenter with a lid and attach the airlock.
7. Let it ferment at 70°F (21°C) for 7-17 days.
8. Siphon or strain into a clean bucket. Now your wash is ready to hit the still!
Q. Can you use frozen pineapple?
You can use frozen pineapple to make pineapple moonshine. Ensure you thaw the fruit completely before using it so it can effectively release its flavors and sugars.
Q. How long can pineapple stay soaking for?
Pineapple can stay soaking for 1-2 weeks. If you’re aiming for a more potent flavor, you can extend the soaking time up to a month.
Q. What alcohol is best to soak pineapple in?
Everclear (neutral) is a popular choice because it has high alcohol content, which helps to extract the flavors of the pineapple.
Q. How strong is pineapple moonshine?
Infused pineapple moonshine ranges from 20% to 30% ABV, while the distilled version has around 40% to 60% ABV.